Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for Apathy

I joined over 1700 other bloggers to do the AtoZ challenge this month. So I'll be posting every day except for Sundays. I wanted to do this challenge to connect with other bloggers, and because I thought that I might just have something to say. I tend to do better under a challenge, then just blogging on my own. Obviously we are going through the alphabet, and I intend on hitting upon issues that are important to me, most of which will probably involve the LGBTQQ community.

Today's topic is Apathy.
Defined Apathy is Noun:
Lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
Synonyms:
indifference - unconcern - torpor - listlessness




Apathy, is the greatest threat to the world at large, and to the LGBTQQ community. If people are indifferent, or don't care about the issues surrounding us, then there is little motivation to see things changed. All too often I hear, "what does it matter to me?", "nothing I do or say will make a difference anyway", "Why should I vote? My vote doesn't count." 

Make it count. If you change 1 person's mind, educate 1 person's heart, You've made a difference. If we want things to change in this world, especially in terms of how the LGBTQQ community is received not just in THIS country but in the world at large then it is up to EACH one of us to take a stand and make a difference. Sure it is easier to sit back and let the outspoken few speak on your behalf, but think of how much stronger they'd be if you raised your voice as well. 

Sometimes doing "our part" is as simple as saying, That's not OK, when you hear hate speech or speech that is negative. Its standing up for yourself and your community. Its easy to tell people that "It gets better." But it gets better when you MAKE it better. Life doesn't hand you much, you have to reach out and grab it. Everyone one of us has the power to change things. Everyone of us has a voice that can be used for good. 

Next time you are thinking that you can't or don't make a difference, I would almost bet that somewhere there is someone that you DID make a difference to. Sometimes we don't see the power of our words and our actions. Sometimes its that 99th out of 100 time, that we are able to see the difference we made. But that doesn't mean that the other 99 times weren't just as profound.

Don't let yourself become apathetic. Don't let yourself slip into indifference. Take a stand, Make a change. 









/

3 comments:

  1. As a teacher who is trying to impact the apathy most have about LGBTQ issues, it is sometimes hard. I have students constantly using "gay" as an adjective when it is not appropriate. I think many of them are now used to me correcting them and asking what word they could use instead, but I'm not sure if this transfers outside my classroom, or if they really understand why that is not appropriate (along with using the word 'retarded').

    Hopefully, I've impacted some of the students (and adults) with even this small action.

    Stopped by through A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were supported during your coming-out process. We need to be much more empathetic and supportive in life (and less judgmental), don't you think? My D blog is about this.
    Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspiration (about #864 on A to Z Challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for stopping by! :)

    A.eye: as a teacher you are doing a wonderful job! even if it seems insignificant there may be a struggling child that it has made all the difference to. ;)

    Rhia- you are So right! we do need to be more empathetic and less judgemental.

    ReplyDelete