Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Splitting Hairs and My Pledge


So have you all missed the DRAMA that once again come to the m/m writing community? I caught the tail end of it today. Re-read the posts, and have been thinking about it much of the day. I do not identify currently as Trans*, although at one point (and still at some points) I have been questioning.  I have questioned my own identity enough and know personally quite a few people in various stages of transition. I am a huge supporter of the trans* community. I have an infinite amount of respect for those people that are willing to be themselves as truly and as deeply as the trans* folks that I know. I have seen the desperation of someone living in a body that they feel is a betrayal every time they look in a mirror. I have seen the pain that comes with the lack of acceptance by society as a whole. And it IS painful when people can't accept you for who you are. Its even more so when the attacks seem to come from within your own community. 

As members of the LGBTQ community (and our allies) its our responsibility to be MORE accepting than those on the outside. Instead, I see how we compartmentalize ourselves and how we identify ourselves into these tiny little boxes, where we say what IS or ISN'T acceptable. We are especially harsh on trans* people. A trans-man is a MAN, his female parts are merely an accident of birth. The same goes for trans-women. If ANYONE can understand, shouldn't it be US? How can we fight for equality so diligently when we ourselves are guilty of treating members of our own community poorly? 

I'm not going to go into specifics about the above mentioned drama. I will say this. If you choose to utilize certain symbols, please make sure that you know what they mean. Please make sure that you are ready to do them justice. Apathy is our enemy. Refusing to to call notice to injustice is just as bad as being the person to commit the injustice. 

Right now its chic to read m/m romance. And when its not chic anymore, then those of us that belong to the LGBTQ community will still be here. The underground popularity of this genre can be used to do so much good. "Outing" or "Exposing" authors is assinine. Period. If you like the work, you should like it no matter what the author looks like or identifies as. PERIOD. Refusing to accept Trans* characters or bi characters is stupid. If its not your cup of tea to read it, there is no shame in that, but be HONEST about it. Save all the "real" and "pure" bullshit.

Right here, and right now, I am making a pledge. I PROMISE, that I, as a reader, reviewer, and aspiring author will stand up for ALL members of the LGBTQ rainbow within the writing community. I PROMISE that THIS blog is a safe space, and that my Review Blog: Http://smoochersvoice.blogspot.com is Also a safe place.  If YOU are a blogger who Embraces the rainbow, and will accept the challenge to provide a safe place then head over to http://embracetherainbow.com, and snag their beautiful symbol seen both here and at the side of my blog.  



2 comments: