Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Family

Day 6: Blogging A to Z Challenge









Topic: Family.









Kids vs no Kids. Should LGBTQ people have children? Are they "qualified" to raise children? Are LGBTQ people able to give children everything that a heterosexual couple would?

The answers go as follows: 1) that is a very PERSONAL choice based on the couple. If you are part of a gay couple and you CHOOSE to have children, whether adopted, or via surrogate then you are PLANNING and CHOOSING to bring a child into your family. That sounds a whole lot more thought out then accidental conception. 2)Is ANYONE qualified to raise children? Last I checked there wasn't a test to take. LGBTQ parents, like ANY other parents would be learning as they go. As long as they are doing it with love in their hearts why WOULDN'T they be qualified. 3)There may be certain things that a LGBTQ family may have to work harder at as far as being able to give their children certain perspectives but there are PLENTY of single parent homes out there, broken homes. ect.. If a person, no matter what their orientation is, is able to provide a stable loving home for a child then THAT is what matters.

I am a Lesbian. I am a mother. I have 3 beautiful children from a marriage.. to a man. Luckily he is super awesome about things. We have rules and guidelines for what is acceptable and what is NOT acceptable. Never at any point will he or his family tell our children that being gay is wrong. Someday maybe I'll find someone to share our lives. Right now its not a priority. I have a Kindergartener who was told IN SCHOOL that all gay people are going to hell. My 6 year old came home and asked me what that meant.

I realize that my children will have to deal early and often with the hatred and misconceptions of others. I hope that it will help them grow into compassionate adults who are always willing to fight for what the believe in. I HOPE my children are straight.. because I would love for their life to be easy.. but if they are gay or bi, or whatever.. Its a BLESSING because that's how they were born... and I hope that by the time they are old enough to start thinking of marriage and family, they won't have to struggle  like we do today. I hope that the world is wide open for them to love whomever they want.


All to often in for people in the LGBTQ community, they find that coming out means that they no longer have a biological family. Some people unfortunately will NEVER accept them. So we band together, we create our own families and we carry on..

Just remember that "FAMILY" doesn't have much to do with blood or genetics.. its the PEOPLE that are there for you when you need them, will love you and support you no matter what, and who will care for you as you do them. That's family, and if THAT family happens to be tied to you by genetics WOOHOO.. if not, that is okay too.


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely. Children thrive in a loving environment. That's really all that matters. Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete